Saturday, January 26, 2013

Jan 26: Okra Fry & Sorrel Dal

There are so many ways to get Bhindi wrong and I have probably been to all those places. 

I have used way too much oil, mixed in yogurt to get rid of its sliminess, added besan, rice flour, etc. When these didnt work, I changed pans, non-stick to my usual aluminium handi. Non-stick worked at times, but at times I ruined it too. It was not consistent. But getting the same results in a cast iron pan made me realize it was not the pan either. 

After so many wrong turns, I finally realized the key was giving it time and not disturbing it while it is transforming itself into this wonderful curry, not rushing it, not mixing it way too much, but just letting it be. Not crowding it too much, then they will turn into mush. Let them cook covered till they lose their bright green and become very slimy, and then without a lid till they lose all of it. Ignore it more than it needs, then all you would have in your hands are too crunchy and dark bits of Bhindi which are a little over the top. Though that tastes nice to me, but that's just me. 

This has worked for me consistently more than any tip to get Okra to be its delicious self. 

Sorrel Dal: Chukkakoora (Sorrel) would benefit with a chopped garlic in the tadka as it is sour in nature. I remembered that when I was eating it. Next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment